Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Day 8: Tuesday, March 8

Writivation

There are three rules for writing a novel. 
Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-Somerset Maugham

Thousands faithfully follow the “maxims” for writing a successful novel, yet their works are largely ignored. Why is that?

Because writing a successful novel isn’t baking a cake – it’s capturing lightning in a bottle.  

It’s distilling the very essence of life itself—that struggle through the seas and valleys of mortal experience—and infusing it into little black squiggles on pieces of paper.

It takes magic to do that, you know. Luckily, we all still have a little, if we're able uncover it beneath all those layers of adulthood. Every so often, a writer just about succeeds at it -- and you know it, because you can’t put their book down. 


Creativity Kick-Starter
SIT OUTSIDE A BOX

No, I said OUTSIDE the box.
I can see you rolling your eyes as you read this. Don’t worry, I’m not telling you to grab an old Eggo waffle box from the recycle bin and place it next to your computer. Although, it would be hilarious if you did that.

No, sit outside a box is all about putting you in a different place physically so you can be in a different place creatively.

Next time you’re blocked try writing in:
  • the hall
  • the back patio
  • the park
  • a restaurant with wi fi

-PJ Switzer



Writing Sprint
(Pick one)


How to Be Late For Church
or
How NOT to do this Home repair
(a home repair gone wrong)

Let's get the mojo going. 
Set your timer for 15 minutes 
and write fast & furious. 
- PJ Switzer

Ready. Set. Go!


Productivity Pointers

SILENCE YOUR PHONE
Ladies, our phones are killing our productivity. Know how I know that? In the 30 minutes I’ve been trying to write this entry today, I’ve received four phone calls, texted with a friend, and checked Facebook a million times. I could have written this in 1/3 the amount of time if I’d silenced my phone and left it in another room.

Clearly, we can’t go silent for an entire day, especially if the cell is also the primary contact number for emergencies, but we can, and should do it for small increments of our writing time.


I’m going to do it. Stating tomorrow, that devilish device is going silent for two hours in the morning so I can get something accomplished. Who's with me?
-PJ Switzer


LINKS TO LOOK AT:
Personally, I love Writer's Digest. There's something for every writer on this website. When I started looking for an agent I visited Chuck Sambuchino's Guild to Literary Agents blog just about every day. I found it very helpful.




Return & Report

Did you try silencing your phone for a little while today?
Just for a little while ...
                                              



2 comments:

  1. I love the cat picture! Also, silencing the phone is a great idea. I will have to do that today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change of scenery makes an amazing difference! Love it!

    ReplyDelete